Pilot Licensing FAQs


I’ve recently moved house, and have finally unpacked everything, only to discover I have misplaced my logbook. What can I do?

CAA guidance on lost logbook procedure is found here. This procedure has recently been introduced, and may seem like a very lengthy and costly process, particularly as you will need logbook hours to allow ratings to be revalidated or experience certified. However, there are a number of things to consider which may ease the hassle should the worst happen. If you are a student, your school should have access to your training records, and can help reproduce your flying hours (at least up to 2 years). If you have a current rating that is close to expiry (and you haven’t lost your licence too) it may be simpler to pass a General Skills Test to get the rating back, rather than attempting to cram all of the required hours into a very short period of time in a new logbook. Of course, this is adequate if you only ever simply want to keep flying Microlights. If you are looking to become an instructor in the future, you will need documented evidence of all of your prior experience, so the CAA procedure in this case must be adhered to. Some good advice is to take a clear photograph of your logbook pages as they are filled, and save them as files on your PC. That way, the problems of reproducing a logbook accurately are removed, in any circumstance.

I’ve lost my licence! Is there any way to get a new one that doesn’t involve a lot of expense and retraining?

You will need to get the licence document reissued by the Civil Aviation Authority, which unfortunately will cost money. Be aware that you will need to provide certified ID and evidence of rating currency. More details on procedures here. You will also need to replace your licence if you have cut it up to fit in separate sleeves in your licence holder. DO NOT CUT UP OR DEFACE ANY LICENCE DOCUMENTS!

I have moved house and notified most organisations, but note that my old address is still on my NPPL and radio licence. What should I do?

You are legally required to notify the CAA, so that they can reissue your documents with updated details. This shouldn’t cost you money if done correctly (other than cost of posting the documents). Details here.

I haven’t been able to fly at all over the winter, and am eager to get back up now Spring’s here, but someone at the club told me to make sure I wasn’t contravening the ’90 day rule’. Could you clarify what I’m required to do?

If you haven’t undertaken a minimum of 3 take-offs and landing within the last 90 days, you are prohibited from passenger carriage until these requirements are completed.

I’ve received a letter from the CAA, accusing me of infringing controlled airspace. I had no idea, and am very concerned that I will have my licence withdrawn. What can I do?

You will simply need to be honest about the flight in question. The CAA will want to interview you to give you a chance to defend your actions. If there was no malicious intent, they will seek to discover the root causes of the incident, in order to prevent repeat incidents. You should approach this interview as a learning opportunity. Your licence will most likely not be taken away, but you will usually be required to pay for an awareness course. This should prove useful towards the shared goal of reducing airspace infringements through understanding and education.

I’ve seen activities I’m not comfortable with at my airfield. I’d like to report them in confidence, who should I speak to at the BMAA?

The BMAA are not regulators. You should report any illegal or suspicious activity to the Civil Aviation Authority and, if appropriate, the police.