Pilot Licensing For Microlights

Medical Requirements

Flying in the UK. A pilot may only fly microlights as Pilot In Command in the UK if they hold valid medical certification.

The NPPL medical certification can be by a Pilot Medical Declaration made on-line on the Civil Aviation Authority web site.

Pilots must use the CAA Customer Portal to access the Medical section of the CAA website. 

This link explains how to use the Portal. Portal Guidance

This link takes you to the Portal login page where you can also Create an Account. Portal Login

For the BMAA medical advisor's guidance on the online medical submission, see here

Other accepted medical certification may be available, but applicants should check with their instructor prior to solo flight.

The BMAA strongly recommends that student pilots make their medical declaration, or obtain other acceptable certification, at the start of their training to ensure that they will be able to hold such a medical, and do not wait until just before they are ready to fly solo, by which time they must hold a valid medical.

Flying abroad. The UK Pilot Medical Declaration is only valid for flight within the UK. If you intend to fly outside the UK you must contact the National Aviation Authority of the country that you want to fly in and find out whether they will accept your UK declaration or not. We don't list each country's requirements on this website as they can change without notice and we don't want to publish misleading information.

FAQs. To read our frequently asked questions page, follow this link.