Flying Abroad - Information

DISCLAIMER Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information provided, but it remains the pilots responsibility to remain compliant.

2021 Guidance for flying to/from the UK following the UK leaving the EU is published by the Government at this link.

The following information is provided to assist BMAA pilots in flight planning for flights within the Common Travel Area (CTA) under the Anti Terrorism Act 2000 and to Europe, covering both the General Aviation Report (GAR) and Flight Planning process”

1.    GAR Form requirements for flights within the CTA. Read the file.

2.    GAR Form requirements for flights to Europe. Read the file.

3.    Flight Plan completion for flights abroad. Read the file.

4.    Flying Abroad Checklist. Read the file.

The following sites provide useful information in flight planning for flights abroad.

5.    The AOPA site provides comprehensive information.   AOPA Follow the Go Flying link to Flight Planning and Flying Abroad.

6.    The European Microlight Federation (EMF) document provides information on National requirements with links to governing bodies and sources of further information and contacts. European Microlight Federation (EMF)

French Regulations

Start with this page. If your microlight meets the current French ULM specification (basically, 450kg for flexwing and 500kg for 3-axis but see the table on that page), or if it is amateur-built, you can fly in France without a specific permission. If your microlight does not meet the ULM definition, you will need to apply to DGAC. Also, you need to ensure your pilot licence meets their requirements; details are on that page. 

Published by FFPLUM, the French Microlight Association, in 2019 this document defines French microlights following the EASA General Regulation update that allows factory built aircraft with a maximum take-off mass (MTOM) of up to 600Kg to be nationally regulated. The French have chosen not to adopt definitions to make use of the whole 600Kg and have stated that their approach to keeping their microlights simple fun aircraft has not changed. You can download a copy by following this link.

The permission for regulated microlights to fly in France without an individual permission is published at this link  Read Article 2

Useful page for French radio:

Moving Aircraft Into And Out Of The UK

Taking your aircraft abroad by trailer

Your aircraft *SHOULD* be treated as a private vehicle and therefore not subject to customs charges, as per the UK government list which is here. You make a ‘declaration by conduct’ and the UK government believes other EU states should accept this in the way the UK does. This may, however, only count for exit from, and re-entry into, the UK

This information comes from the British Gliding Association and should also apply to other aircraft.

Temporarily moving an aircraft across the UK border eg for expeditions, competitions, etc.

The British Gliding Association worked with Government to reach a proportionate approach to border crossing with gliders. The situation briefed to the BGA by Government in a meeting on the 6th May 2021 is that where a privately owned glider is moved across the UK border in a trailer towed by a private vehicle and the intent is to return the glider across the UK border (for example visiting the EU for a holiday, competition, etc), the export and subsequent import should be declared orally on disembarkation as a ‘declaration by conduct’. ‘Declaration by conduct’ is a term recognised by UK border staff. Safety and security requirements do not apply unless the glider is being moved under contract. In due course, the guidance will be published on the .Gov website. The UK government cannot comment on behalf of EU borders. However, it is understood that a similar approach should be taken at the EU border.

Temporarily moving an aircraft across the UK border eg for repair

The UK-EU Trade and Co-operation Agreement (TCA) allows goods to temporarily move between GB and the EU for repair without incurring customs duty on import, regardless of their origin.

Outward Processing is a procedure that allows goods to be temporarily exported from the UK for repair or processing, and then reimported to the UK without payment of UK customs duty or import VAT. Further info on Outward Processing and the conditions that need to be met for the relief can be found at: